Monday, April 16, 2012

E is for Earning


Mood: Crabby from being hot as hell and not in a sexy way. Dutch Viking folk do not like sweating all the time. We prefer to stand outside in 40 degree weather in a hoodie.

Listening to: Gela Gela Gela – Adnan Sami

I work from home as a consultant. I got my current gig in New York before we packed up and moved half way around the globe and I have continued to do work for the same company.  I enjoy my work, but I am in no way working full time.  There has been some talk about my getting a full time job after my youngest goes to school in June.

I’m not quite sure what I think of this idea. While I never planned on being a full time housewife and mom, it’s all that I’ve known for the past 9 years.  On one hand, I would absolutely love to have something adult that I can work on and be doing on my own. On the other hand, I can see my free time and pursuits dissolving as I type. I know that this is a ridiculous hang up, but I LOVE writing. As much as I love it, I’m pretty sure that I won’t get hired for anything to do with writing. I have no degree pertaining to it, no experience, and nothing to show. I don’t mind a regular desk job.

I’m also a little apprehensive about what I would do with my kids. I think it may be a hard adjustment for them to make. I’ve always been at their beck and call and now they would have to get used to someone else being at home. I’m also afraid I wouldn’t be able to keep up with their homework and other activities. Hell, I ‘m a stay at home mom and I already can’t keep up with it.

I do want to be earning at least a token amount for myself. My parents got divorced when I was 13. By sheer luck, she had happened to get a nursing degree a few years before they divorced. It has been hammered into me from an early age that I need to be able to take care of myself, no matter how stable life seems. So that’s also a motivation of mine. I hope to the Spaghetti monster that I never have to go through a divorce from my husband, but no point sitting about without self reliance in the mean time.

What do you think? What are some of the challenges from changing your trajectory when you’re 30?

Becky

No comments: